I got the urge to bake over the weekend. This happens to me from time to time, and it usually results in magnificent quantities of cookies, brownies, or cupcakes. Sometimes all three…and I end up like this.
This time I felt the need to use up my ripe bananas in a Pinterest recipe – which turned into three Pinterest recipes. Since I just absolutely had to make all three recipes, and I had an idea to change one up, I needed more bananas and oats. In Indiana. In the winter. In the freezing ass cold and wind. Anyway, the results of my little bake-a-thon were in the pictures I posted yesterday of my weekend eats (just in case you were wondering why I was eating so many granola bar/banana-ish things – I had to try them all, duh). The recipe I’m sharing with you today is my version of the strawberry banana granola bars, which can be found here.
I give you – Blueberry Banana Protein Bars!
I made a double batch for a little thicker bars, so the ingredient list is doubled.
Ingredients (Makes 16 bars):
2 tsp canola oil
2 bananas, mashed
1 c 2% milk
2 tbs honey
5 c oats
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
2 c semi-frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Mix everything together.
3. Spread in pan. I used a baking sheet, but one batch would also fit in an 8×8 pan.
4. Bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes – longer if you like crunchier bars.
5. Let cool in pan before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers (if there are any).
Calorie information (Serving size: 1 bar) – 109 calories, 1.2 g fat, 0.5 g sat. fat, 21.2 mg cholesterol, 59 mg sodium, 13.3 g carbs, 1.2 g fiber, 4.4 g sugar, 11.4 g protein
- No nuts! It is so very difficult to find a healthy, yet still tasty, granola/protein bar without nuts. Tree nut allergies suck!
- Extremely easy to make. Only two dishes dirtied? I’ll take it!
- Nutritious! Compared to the protein bars I normally buy, these bars have fewer calories, fat, sat. fat, sodium, carbs, and sugar. Plus more protein! I’m thinking about changing the recipe a bit to get some more fiber in there, but that’s all that I would change.
- Customizable! Don’t like blueberries? Try anything else you’d like! Chocolate protein powder, bananas only, peanut butter…the possibilities are endless.